Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Greatest Journey - Part 5

Meeting Ayesha


During our stay in Makkah, I preferred go to with small group for attending Jamaat at Masjid al Haram. Usually it would be me, Amma, Fahim, Tasfia apa and Laila apa. But in some occasions Fahim and I went together while Amma and Laila apa prayed inside the hotelroom in the same jamaat and Tasfia apa would go with her husband. Others in our group formed groups of their preference, mostly based on the groupings in each room.

It was one such day when Fahim and I were attending the jamaat while others were either at hotel or went separately. In those cases, after the Adhan, I would move to the nearest line of female pilgrims. I would find sisters from different corners of the world next to me. I liked those moments as it would break the barrier of cultural differences giving a sense of unity and sisterhood. Those were the moments when I repeatedly realized the significance of the wonderful greetings Allah gifted us – ‘Salaam’. As soon as I greet the next person with salaam, I would see the most beautiful smile and a kind response ‘Walaikum Assalaam’. Doesn’t require me to understand their language and vice versa. Those two words are sufficient enough to create instant bond and hearts filled with love.
So, there I was, trying to find the nearest female groups and clearing my way towards the direction. Ok, found some space near a sister whose appearance told me they were from any part of the great African nation. She looked young, close to my age. The group seem to be unlike us, not lavished with goodie bags. The sandals they were wearing spoke about their struggling condition. She didn’t have any prayer mat which we usually used to take with us at times of prayers. My experience thus far was limited with those two words as about 99% of the time the sister next to me wouldn’t speak English. So, I was prepared to give salaam and then to start dhikr as usual.
I turned to her with a smile and said ‘ Assalamualaikum’. She responded – ‘Walaikum Assalaam’ and returned back a smile. Ok, now I would focus on my dua and other routine things.
‘What’s your name?’ – to my utmost surprise I heard this question from my right.
‘Sadia, and yours?’ – I asked.
‘Ayesha. Where are you from?’ she inquired again.
‘USA’. The obvious second question from me would be asking her where she is from. But I thought, it doesn’t matter to me. I don’t need to know where she is from. She is a Muslim sister of mine which matters and we are here with the same purpose. What else I need to know!
But she was a bit inquisitive and asked ‘You have kids?’
‘No. Do you?
‘Yes’. Then she told about her kids which I don’t clearly remember now. But I remember that she left her kids back home.
Others from her group were staring at me. Not sure whether they spoke English or not. Usually most people I met were not quite comfortable breaking the cultural gaps. She was exceptional in the group with no doubt.
During these conversations, we heard the Muazzin beginning calling for Asr prayer.
After prayer we just went apart on our separate direction.



One day before we left Makkah

It was the time for Maghrib. We rushed to the Masjid area and found rarely any place after crossing our hotel stairs. This time Tasfia apa, Laila apa and Amma we all were together. We had to manage just enough space for us before the stairs. Waiting for the Muazzin. People were still coming and trying to clear up space. All kinds of languages from around us. Among those unfamiliar words, I suddenly heard my name. I looked around. Couldn’t see her at first. Then I heard my name again. This time right in front of me. I looked up. ‘Ayesha!!’ She was quickly passing to reserve the area which she found- just before the Adhan. Even in that rush, she saw me, remembered my name, and courteous enough to call me and give salaam. I could just say ‘Walaikum Assalaam.’ She went by.

After prayer, I asked myself ‘what is the probability of seeing a person 2nd time in this crowd of about 2.5 million?’ I didn’t know where she and her group were staying, but it was certain that not in any of the hotels that are nearby the Kabah. Yet, we passed by each other – only by the decree of Allah.