Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Greatest Journey – part 1


Makkah, Right after Fajr Prayer

The bus slowed down. There are lights all around us even though it’s about 5 o’clock in the morning. The sky above us still pitch dark. We have been longing for this moment. We are here, few yards from the Masjid al Haram. The place where billions of people are craving to visit each year. We are here at Makkah.

I looked outside through the window. I wanted to say something, but couldn’t find any word. I heard the emotional voice of Brother Sulayman saying ‘Look at this crowd brothers and sisters, look at this crowd. Reflect on the crowd, this is the Ummah of Muhammad (SAS). On the day of judgment people will be running like this, billions and billions of people, the difference is they will only be thinking about themselves and nothing else unlike now.’
I looked again on the other side. Thousands of people are coming out from the Masjid al Haram after Fajr prayer. I read about ocean of people, now realized what it means. Men and women dressed in white mostly from different parts of the world. Walking slowly with such a peace on their face.
There is no way the bus can move forward. We are patiently waiting inside the bus for the crowd to be part. It’s like never ending. I was amazed by the sight. People are stopping at the street side shops to have their first cup of tea. Some already started to look around for clothing, shoes and other necessities.

Finally the bus started crawling again and stopped somewhere closer to our hotel.
We will be taking rest the whole day after the long and exhaustive journey and will join at the lobby together after Isha before starting the first ritual of this Journey – Umrah. It will be the time I will be first seeing the Kabaah – a dream that I never imagined to come true so early.



Approximately 10:30 pm

The group came down to the lobby to hear the instructions from brother Sulayman, our Imam. After all the detailed direction of performing Tawaf & Sai’, we started our walk. The hotel was very close to the Masjid. Only few yards. Husbands and wives formed groups of two holding each other's hands so that at least they don’t get separated in the crowd. For those who need wheel chairs would go with separate arrangement.
My husband and I came down on the street with the rest of the group. My heart started beating faster with every step of walking. Mind is getting more focused in each second. In few minutes I couldn’t see any of our group members anymore. Labbayek Allahumma Labbayek, Labbayek La Shari kala ka Labbayek. Innal Hamda, Wa Innna Maa’ta. Laka wal Mulk. Laa Shari Kalak. This is all I could hear around me with the recitation of my own voice.
We came closer to the gate. We started barefoot so didn’t have to stop for taking off our shoes. I felt like my heart will be coming out as it was beating so fast. I was keeping my eyes as protected as possible as I didn’t want to suddenly caught Kabaah in my sight and be speechless without making any Dua. I was told from numerous source that any Dua we make while seeing the Kaabah for the first time, will be granted. I didn’t want to miss this biggest opportunity at any cost. I had been keeping my eyes off the view since I was on the airplane. So here comes the moment.
I told Fahim to first find the corner from where the Tawaf starts and then I will turn my eyes. We found it. Now is the time to face toward the Kabah in front of me.

It was on my left. I turned my eyes. For few seconds I felt that time has frozen. I got a shiver in my body and felt tears coming out from my eyes. In a split second I had a flashback of few moments of my childhood – playing in the house where I grew up. Then my mind came back to the present and told me where I am. It’s like Allah telling me ‘that is where you were, and I brought you here today’. If I try to put the moment in words, I would say – It was the moment of Truth. The truth that Allah created us. The truth that we will be returning to Him. The truth that there is a place called Jannah and also a place called Jahannam. The truth that there will be a day of judgement. The truth that I don’t crave for anything but Jannah. The truth that Allah is seeing me. The truth that Allah is hearing me. It was so powerful a moment – I cannot describe anymore.

I was hearing crying all around me. The emotion is hard to describe. When we cry, we think about some sad incident, or feel sorrow or may be joy, and then we reflect on it and tear comes out. But sighting of Kabah, I couldn’t put it in any category. Tears came out before any reflection. I could feel the same emotion around me.

I made the Dua that I wanted to make. Then we started moving into the crowd for Tawaf.